Sunday, March 15, 2009

A Woman of a Certain Age

Ah. Dance weekend is coming up fairly soon. Can't wait to get my dancing shoes on. It'll be a few weeks,but that will give me some time to 1. limber up and 2. find me a pretty frock to wear.
I'll be needing that time for both those endeavors. We haven't been dancing in a really long time. Not sure my the legs will hold for the 4-5 lessons scheduled into the week-end, most of them for Saturday, never mind the dance the night before and the evening of ! Whew , I'm tired just thinking about it. I think I'll put a little music on now and again, and give that handsome dude I married a little swing around the living room. Just to remind HIM of what we're heading into.
Now , the dress. That's another ball of wax. What to wear? Why I think that might be one of the oldest questions in history. Hell, I do believe that even Eve bemoaned the fashion options way back when in the Garden. The story has it that she settled for a fig leaf. But I'm looking for something with a bit more coverage and durability. So I went online , being the lazy shopper that I am.
We've been told that the Saturday night dance is "dressy/formal". Oh boy. Options? That's been tough. I'm finding that they don't really design for a woman of a "certain age" ( a quote from my YOUNG physician---I just want to know WHEN I became a woman of a "certain age". I'm wondering if somehow I fell asleep and missed something. ) They design for the young or those lucky enough to be built like the young. And sister, that ain't me. Even when I WAS young and not a "woman of a certain age".
I found interesting little numbers that were strapless, body hugging, thigh tickling, slit to there, corseted, back baring-even belly button baring ( oh so nice to show off that adorable little belly button ring ) . I found long halter dresses with nice slimming lines that also featured retro pop designs like big ole targets strategically placed at the HIP? Yeah right. I found a cute short dress that covered quite a bit despite it being slightly above the knee . Okay, it MIGHT have caught my attention except that it was the color of a spring daffodil. I'm thinking that should I wear that I'd look like the whole FIELD of spring daffodils.
I'm looking for a style that will flatter the figure of a woman of a certain age. One must consider that one of a certain age will likely be wearing undergarments-well at least this woman will be. Once those garments are in place I then require that the next layer is one that can "accentuate the positive" . I really don't want to share with others what happens when the pantyhose collides with this winter's "insulation". It's just NOT a pretty sight. And I need a color that will enhance my skin color--- winter, pasty white. So I'm guessing that this season's "new" cream color is not going to be a good choice for me.
I think folks , that the HUNT is on. I'm pretty sure that there may be a dress out there for me. But I'm thinking it will take nothing less than an all out effort on the scale of finding Osama bin Laden. Wish me luck.

Cyth

No comments:

Post a Comment