Sunday, January 31, 2010

It surely was cold the other day, I noted, as I walked out to the mailbox. Fortunately it is not a long walk to the end of the driveway and across the street. But it was only about 5 degrees and the wind whipped by at probably 25 miles an hour. So it sure did feel COLD for even that short a walk.


I was bundled up , but I still I shivered. And I'm not entirely convinced that it was just the weather that had me quivering. I don't know about you , but there is always for me an anticipatory pleasure in going to retrieve the mail. There is something almost magical in that anticipation, and something hopeful as well. Each day that I go out to the mailbox I hold a tiny hope that I will receive something personal or fun, something attractive to the eye, words that bring news of someone I'm not routinely in touch with.


So few people actually write, that is , hand write a note or , heavens, a letter that I wonder how my mind still keeps watchful vigilance for something nearly as archaic as written correspondence. And still it does. It's that little bit of magical thinking that one day a special little parcel will be tucked into the box, that fills me with eager anticipation.




I imagine all sorts of goodies being sent my way by old friends and new. How about something like this little dream envelope? Oh , I think that I would nearly swoon to find a treasure like this in my mailbox.
This is a beautiful sample of an entry to the Graceful Envelope Contest back in 2000 ( I think ). Wouldn't it be lovely to check your mailbox at the end of a long day at work , or a trying day with the kids, and find that someone had taken the time and the care to send you something so exquisite? OOOOOOO ! I think I'd have achieved Nirvana if I got anything like this.


I'm sure that like the rest of you,the contents of your mailslot looks more like this.

Oh , how dreary , boring and repetitive. Must pay this bill ; be sure to shred that envelope and its contents; feel the weight of guilt when you simply can not contribute one more dime to a worthy cause. And look at the graphics. Those too are boring---patches of in-your-face colors
that scream at you to "tear at the edges", remember to send, check your "time critical" material-------squares and rectangles , diagonal lines , all positioned to S-C-R-E-A-M at you. Where do they invite? How do they caress your senses and pique your interest to investigate the inner contents? They simply do not.
Oh please just give me an occasional glimpse and feel of human communication meant to tickle the senses and emotions.
The piece below ( forgive the poor photo ) is an example of "mail art" that a gentleman by the name of Alan Blackman has sent to himself. He began doing this many years ago, and has continued to this day. He coordinates the calligraphy with the postage stamp(s) he's chosen and incorporates an illustration within the whole to make a beautifully cohesive presentation. This , as you can see, is a butterfly theme. I would love to see it in color. If you'd be interested in seeing more of his work (in color) try this link .





The "graceful envelope" below is another sample from way back 10 years ago. But they still hold a competition every year. This year's theme is " A Stream of Letters". If you think you might be interested, try the website of The Washington Calligraphers' Guild . There you can find entry rules , background information and beautiful samples from the past years, from most recent to the oldest.
Maybe , just maybe, you'll find yourself inspired enough to have some fun with embellishing an envelope for a special friend of yours. Not having the time or talent isn't excuse enough. My dear cousin simply took a page from an old calendar and made a few cuts and folds and voila , a simple yet pleasing package that tickles the imagination and pays honor to some one dear ( she sent this on Valentines Day for the Mister & me who met at a dance ).
And it is the MAGIC that delights everytime I go out into the cold and see that someone has thought of me kindly. And who can't use a little of that kind of magic?
Wishing you delight and Magic, Cyth




















No comments:

Post a Comment