Saturday, January 31, 2009

Off to the Races

Yes, it was off to the races today. Sled dog races ,that is. The Mr. talked me into donning my finest Winter-wear ( don't even get me started about that ) and heading out to watch the dogs run. Well, I figured , the white stuff is going to be around for a while , no point in fighting it . So began my 30 minute ordeal of searching in the all the darkest corners of the house for the ski pants , the fashion-forward hat, the gloves AND mittens so that my normally cold digits don't develop frostbite. Where did I put my new boots? They're NEW. How far away could they get? Ah. There they are. Camera? Check. Tea for warming later? Check. A last look at the thermometer---- 20 degrees. Hey, that's not so bad. I've got a stand-up collar on my jacket, forget the scarf.

Well 20 degrees is a heck of a lot different than 20 degrees and a fierce wind blowing down the mountain and across the frozen lake ( could have been the tundra for all the warmth in it ). Wish I brought the scarf.

Arriving at the lake, one of my local favorites, we had to park W-A-Y back , and so had to walk a wee bit of a distance. Not bad; started the circulation , which I would be needing anyway. Couldn't see the dogs, but man, could you hear them. As if I weren't ambivalent enough about tethering these poor creatures to each other and a sled carrying a man, their barking, baying, whimpering, howling sent shivers down me. It sounded like a mass canine execution. And I began to ponder the necessity for this sport. Yadda, yadda, do we really need to subject these noble animals, man's best friend, to shackles for our entertainment? So began my inner tirade. Fortunately , the icy wind drove a little finger into me and arrested the next thought about to spring forward.

So I relaxed a bit , looked around, ignored the yaps from the dogs and tried to take in and understand from another point of view. And what I came to see was that the barks and noises coming from the animals was excitement and anticipation. Truly. I watched them . They were barely able to contain themselves;in fact it took 2 or 3 people to do so. As it was being announced when each new team was to take off ( and I mean TAKE OFF ! ) , they would have a countdown. By the time the announcer was on 5 ( seconds left to go ) the dogs were howling MADLY , leaping into the air , gulping snow, as if on drugs. They hit " go" and like a whip the team was off and the only sound was the swoosh of the sled as it sped by. Like night and day.




You can see the look of utter intent in the eyes of these dogs. It's almost scary. Their ice blue eyes seem only to see the open lake, to reflect their need for the snow crunching beneath their paws as they speed through the course. This is what they were born for, for what they have trained. They do , I now believe, live for this. And now I wonder; if they were taken away from this, to comply , with what I initially thought would be only humane, what of them then? Like most of us... we've trained for something - teaching, mothering, doctoring, dancing, writing, singing...you name it. Or maybe through our hobbies, crafts, sports, we have trained , prepared, andyearned to work at something that compels us, that fulfills us, that helps us understand ourselves better, gives expression to our desires and needs. What now, if it were taken away?

What if that fulfilling work can no longer be ours? We begin to lose our compass, our internal compass that gives us direction , even meaning in our lives.

I've now begun to wonder; what would become of these dogs ,if dog-sledding were to be taken away , by well-meaning humanitarians, like myself ? Their need to run would still be there. If not able to do that, how could they express those internal energies? Who would I be without the means to express my internal energies ?
Ah, I'm into this way too deeply. Suffice it to say, I've come away with a renewed perspective.

And that may just be the most important lesson.



I'll tell ya. These little kids didn't barrage themselves with questions , no sir. When they got cold and races were at a standstill, they made themselves a little snowblind and hunkered right down in -- no icy wind for them, no debating the fairness of mans use of man's best friend , just a simple answer to to their immediate need. I like that. Simplicity.
I'd say that it turned out to be a rather nice day at the races.

Good evening,
Cyth

No comments:

Post a Comment